using php to manage multiple databases

Hi,

  I have a need to create a web interface that will be used to connect to many, separate MySQL databases.

Basically, it's a central php web application that will make connections to one of perhaps 500-1000 different MySQL servers to do some simple queries, then disconnect. Each server will be running the same data structures, so the php program will function the same for all servers, it just has to connect to a specific server to get the information it needs to present.

So, here's my question: Has anyone ever done something similar? Can php reliably open 500 or so simultaneous connections to 500 or so different MySQL servers? Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks

frank dziuba