From: Tony S. Wu [mailto:tonyswu@xxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 11:07 AM
To: hengameh
Cc: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: question on <select>

sounds like a job for JavaScript.

Tony S. Wu
tonyswu@xxxxxxx

"Look into the right places, you can find some good offerings."
http://homepage.mac.com/tonyswu/stw - The perfect business.
http://homepage.mac.com/tonyswu/tonyswu - My web page.
------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------

On May 12, 2004, at 7:02 AM, hengameh wrote:

Hello,

I am very new to php and mysql so please be patient with me. I don't even
know if I am using the right listing, but I hope someone can help me!

I need to create a <select> and the possible options are from my mysql
database ( so far so good, I was able to find code to do that).

Now I need to use the user selected option to drive the options of me next
<select>. I need to know how to capture what user selected and how to pass
that around? I have used "onchange" attribute of the <select> to capture the
selected line but now how can I pass that to other php scripts? ( I need to
get the name of the country so that I can show a list of possible
state/province. I setting the value of the "newcountry" input to the
selected "country" but when I do echo $newcountry in quicksearch.php, its
blank!!)

Please help!!

Thanks so much

Here is what I have so far:

Quicksearch.php file has the following code

<th>Steps 1-4</th>

<form name="fcountry" method="post">

<?php require("country_build.php");?>

<input type="text" name="newcountry" value="">

</form>

<!-- quicksearch.php end -->

<script language="JavaScript">

<!--

function changeMenu()

{

document.fcountry.newcountry.value =
document.fcountry.country.options[document.fcountry.country.selectedInd ex].v
alue;

}

-->

</script>

Countrty_buil.php has the following

<?php

require_once("util.php");

echo "<SELECT name=\"country\" class=\"input\" onchange=\"changeMenu()\">";

//

// initialize or capture the country variable

$country = !isset($_REQUEST['country'])? "Select a country":
$_REQUEST['country'];

$countrySQL = !isset($_REQUEST['country'])? "*": $_REQUEST['country'];

echo "<option value='$countrySQL' SELECTED>$country</option>";

$query = "SELECT country FROM ". TABLECOUNTRY . " ORDER BY country ASC";

// pconnect, select and query

if ($link_identifier = mysql_pconnect(DBSERVERHOST, DBUSERNAME, DBPASSWORD))
{

if ( mysql_select_db(DBNAME, $link_identifier)) {

// run the query

$queryResultHandle = mysql_query($query, $link_identifier) or die(
mysql_error() );

$ctrRows = mysql_num_rows($queryResultHandle); // row counter

// if data exists then $rows will be 1 or greater

if( $ctrRows == 0 ) {

}else{

// build the select list

while($row = mysql_fetch_object($queryResultHandle)) { //
grab a row

                       echo "<option
value=\"$row->country\">$row->country</option>";

}

echo "</SELECT><br><br>";

}

}else{ // select