Re: no temp var for mysql_fetch_array results

You'd have to ask someone with more internals knowledge for that one... I'm sure it does get GC'd, but I don't know if it happens in-script or at the end. Also, I would assume it is freed when GC'd, but who knows, I might be wrong. It's much safer to free it yourself.

paperCrane <Justin Patrin>

David T-G wrote:
Justin, et al --

...and then Justin Patrin said...
% % David T-G wrote:
% % >...and then Justin Patrin said...
% >% ...
% >% Of course, this leaves the result handle open. It's best to store the % >% result handle and free it with mysql_free_result().
% >
% >Makes sense. I actually hadn't thought of that; do I need to do that
% >after a typical while(mysql_fetch_array()) or does the exhaustion caused
% >by the while loop then close and free for me?
% % Nope, it's kept open so that you can use a seek to go back to the % beginning i fyou want to (at least, I'm pretty sure that's what it's % doing). You should always use mysql_free_result on your statement/result % handle.

Ahhhhh... Very interesting. One learns something every day :-)

% % Of course, you don't *really* need to do this if your script is small as % PHP will free everything when it's done, but it's good coding style and % can keep you from (possibly) running out of memory in larger scripts.

Right.  And surely someone who so fastidiously fclose()s every fopen()ed
file, even if it was opened read-only, would want to tie up any loose db
ends in the same way!

One last question...  If I make a query and run through the results and
then make another query, reusing the same result handle, should I have
freed the first result before assigning the second?  That is, does that
handle get closed automatically or orphaned for garbage collection at the
end of the script?

% % -- % paperCrane <Justin Patrin>

Thanks again & HAND

:-D