RE: Re: Using $_SESSION array for large number of variables. Any recommendations?

Hi,

I would suggest a mysql table for the data. For large amounts it is probably
more efficient - not sure how much resource is needed to manage 100K pieces
of information using $_SESSION, but an indexed mysql table is probably much
quicker.

table

CREATE TABLE `session_data` (
`userID` VARCHAR( 20 ) NOT NULL ,
`var_name` VARCHAR( 100 ) NOT NULL ,
`var_data` VARCHAR( 250 ) NOT NULL ,
PRIMARY KEY ( `userID` , `var_name` )
);

you then retrieve the data at the beginning of each page request.

This is also persistent, so it will be there for as long as needed. If you
have a login system this also allows the user to switch machines or
browsers - $_SESSION is linked to the browser.

>From experience this works well.

hth

Peter

Excellence in internet and open source software
Sunmaia
Birmingham
UK
www.sunmaia.net