From: JanetVal@xxxxxxx
To: php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2004 5:40 PM
Subject: Re:  can PHP handle the new mysql-4.1.1 authentication
method?

In a message dated 4/17/2004 12:11:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

  Was anybody successful in connecting from PHP to MySQL with new
  (41-character) password authentication? All I am getting is "Client does
not
  support authentication protocol requested by server. Consider upgrading
  MySQL client". I assume PHP needs to be recompiled with new MySQL client
  binaries. Is there a binary version?

  There is nothing mentioned in PHP 4.3.6 or in PHP 5.

  Anybody solved this?

In order to use MySQL 4.1, you need to use the mysqli extension, rather than
mysql functions. You need PHP 5 in order to use mysqli. PHP 5 RC 1 has the
necessary support. In PHP 5, MySQL is not compiled in by default. You need
to enable MySQLi. Look up MySQLi in the PHP online manual for the function
syntax.

Janet