Link to do query

Hi,

I have a Tipster Website that lists a Tipster Ladder.
So it shows their name and their current score.  What
I want to do is make their name clickable and upon
clicking the name it loads that persons profile which
is fetched from the mysql db.

Now which would be the best way to do this?  I have
NEVER done a link query before but am familiar with
forms.

Would I best best to have it something like this:

http://mydomain.com/profile.php?user=blah

And do a query that fetches the user=blah bit?

Or throw them in a form somehow?

I have to be honest, with a link with the url above I
am not familiar on how to grab the user=blah bit and
throw it into a query.  So a demo example would be
great so I can learn/add to it.

All suggestions, examples appreciated here.

Thanks!

http://au.movies.yahoo.com