Re: How to troubleshoot MySQL Error 1040: Too many processes

From: "John Hicks" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Twice recently my little homebrew PHP/MySQL content
> management system has essentially crashed when MySQL
> starts returning a 1040 error: "Too many connections."
> Restarting MySQL fixes things ... for a little while
> at least.
[snip]
> Most of my connections are made with PHP's
> mysql_pconnect.

I wouldn't use mysql_pconnect for this vary reason. Read through some of the
user comments on the manual page and it's explained in detail. Try with
mysql_connect(), first.

You can raise the number of connections (default is 100) using a my.cnf file
(explained in MySQL manual), but if you're not getting the actual traffic to
produce 100 simultaneous users, then that's not the issue.

---John Holmes...