odd behavior

I am having a very odd problem trying to encapsulate a library that isolates
the underlying backend DB (I have to support both mssql and mysql with the
same front end). I have isolated the offending code as follows:

      $resb=sql_QUERY($sql);
      $recds=num_ROWS($resb);

When the num_ROWS routine is called the following message is printed:

Changed database context to 'test'.

The number of rows returned is 0 (should be 1). The num_ROWS routine is:

//
//      Return num of results
//
function num_ROWS($rs) {
        global $db_TYPE;

        switch($db_TYPE) {
        case 1:
                $r=mysql_num_rows($rs) or die(mysql_error());
                return $r;
        case 2:
                return mssql_num_rows($rs) or die(mssql_get_last_message());
                return $r;
        }
}

$db_TYPE contains "2" and the message is generated from the
mssql_get_last_message routine. If I change the num_ROWS call to:

    $recds=mssql_num_rows($resb);

it works without any problems.

Another interesting thing is that if I run the following routine:

<?php
session_start();
include("common.php");
$db_TYPE=2;

$conn=openDataConnection();
select_DB($EDB,$conn);
$res=sql_QUERY("Select * from email where email_id='1234'");
$cnt=num_ROWS($res);
print $cnt."<br>";
$r=fetch_ARRAY($res);
print_r($r);
closeConnection($conn);
?>

The correct record is fetched and the num_ROWS routine returns the value 1
without a message (1 would also be the correct value for the production code
also because I am using the same query and id number). I am running the same
query against the same db/table using the same routines (db.php is included
in common.php). In other words, it works the way it's supposed to.

I was running 4.3.5 and upgraded to 4.3.6rc1 this morning and the problem
still exists. If anyone could shed any light on this I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks,

Michael