Oracle/PHP & Instant-Client ( remote connection )

Hello all,

Hope this isn't an FAQ - have trawled google, otn.oracle, php.net etc -
not sure I can find the answer..

I've been using php&mySql for a while now and getting on great - however
I'm now tasked with getting my php to talk to a _remote_ ( right next to
me but separate ) Oracle server...

I found on otn.oracle.com a thing called 'instantclient' - a couple of
.rpm's to install what is supposed to be a kinda plug-and-play Linux
Oracle client..

However, I can't seem to be able to compile PHP with Oracle support,
because I don't think instantclient has the required header files to
compile PHP/OCI8 .. Is that right?

The other solution I thought might be to use instantclient itself.. ..
It comes with a couple of .so's, so I've tried DynamicallyLoading them
at the top of a php page.. It seems to be loading the one I give it
(libociei.so) but then complains that it can't find "libclntsh.so.10.1"
which I have, and is sitting right next to "libociei.so" ..

( The error is :

Warning: dl(): Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/libociei.so' - libclntsh.so.10.1: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory in /path/to/info.php
on line 2

.. And /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/libclntsh.so.10.1 does exist )

Thought that maybe I've just got a path problem..??

Anyway - is the 'ONLY' solution to getting PHP to connect remotely to an
Oracle server to download 1.5Gb's of Oracle CD's?

Has anyone had any experience getting instantclient/php to work? Is
there any way I can get the headers I need to compile --with-oci8
without the 1.5Gb download??

Am I missing something blatantly obvious?

Any advice/points-in-the-right-direction would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
Jimbo