MySQL Logging

Hi,

Sorry if this the wrong list, I am a little confused on how to get MySQL logging working, I am hoping some PHP users are doing something like this.

I am backing up my MySQL data using a shell script and mysqldump. I would like to be able to send an email notification to myself to know that the dump worked.

My idea is tac'ing or tail'ing the last few entries of a mysql (or mysqldump?) log and pipping it to email. Does this sound like a good idea?

It appears my server is not logging by default, how do I enable a log that would store this info, or am I looking at this the wrong way.

All help is kindly appreciated.

Thankyou :)
JJ