working with ' in SQL

Hi, I have an SQL statement that is ran when data is submitted through a
form.  When someone types in a word with an ' such as farmer's the SQL
statement fails.  I tried $_POST[data] = addslashes($_POST[data]); before
executing the SQL statement, but the statement still fails.  any
suggestions?  using words without a ' works fine.