mysql_num_rows

Perhaps someone could look at this function and help me trouble shoot it? This function notifies the user of their new passwd.

I keep getting an error message on this page (see below). What's strange is the script seems to be working because i am getting an email with my new password. Here is the error message I am receiving:

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /Users/choffman/Sites/www/cyclistsedge/include/ forgot_password_functions.php on line 70

suggestions? Anything will be helpful. Much Thanks CH

function notify_password($username, $password)
// notify the user that their password has been changed
{

    $query ="SELECT username FROM users WHERE username=('$username')";
   // $result = mysql_query($query, $db);
    if (!$query)
    {
      return false;  // not changed
    }
line 70 =>  else if (mysql_num_rows($query)==1)

      $user_id = mysql_result($query, 0, 'user_id');
      $from = "From: missy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \r\n";
      $mesg = "Your password has been changed to $password \r\n"
              ."You might want to change it next time you log in. \r\n";

if (mail($username, 'Cyclists Edge login information', $mesg, $from))
return true;
else
return false;
}