Re[2]: Optimising LIMITs

Hello Jeffrey,

JM> Primary keys aren't any faster than normal keys. They're simply for
JM> identification. (correct me if I'm wrong, that is my understanding)
JM> If you don't already have an index on created, I'd do that.

I do - here's a question though, what is the best way to have an
index? To combine multiple fields into one index - or to have one
field per index? I ask because MySQL will appear to select the best
possible index for the query and sometimes it's wrong - I read
somewhere you can control which index it uses, but if you had a
"combined" index would this make things any more/less effective?

JM> If you want to optimize things further, I would run the query at midnight
JM> each morning, and instead of paging through the entire table, just page
JM> through that temporary table.

Figured someone might suggest that - I will have to look into it.
Thanks.

--
Best regards,
 Richard Davey