RE: Rules in a database

I guess I did not pay attention that day in class, but that is cool.

- Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Ignatius Reilly [mailto:ignatius.reilly@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 9:14 AM
To: DB list PHP; John
Subject: Re:  Rules in a database

A bit of algebra first:

any expression formed of atomic expressions, AND, OR and parentheses can
be reduced to a "canonical" form, by using the De Morgan laws: a AND ( b
OR c ) is equiv. to a AND b OR a AND c

So a rule can eventually be reduced to "AND" groups, joined by "OR":
a(1) AND... AND a(n) OR ... OR z(1) AND ... AND z(p)
Each "AND" group contains 1 or more rules.

Therefore, to model "input" rules:
- store atomic rules in a table
- store "AND" rule groups in a table (1-n relation to the "atomic"
table)
- store full rules in a table (1-n relation to the "AND" table)

Now you can model "output" rules likewise, and finally create a table of
associations between "input" and "output" rules

Problem is: once you've flattened your rules to the canonical form, they
can become illegible. So perhaps a hierarchical data model (XML) would
be more appropriate, for your rules would remain human-legible (and
thererfore
human-maintainable)

HTH
Ignatius