Images stored in a db - how to get them?

Hello All,

I am interested in storing images in a table. My question is - What is the proper way of retrieving the images and displaying them on a web page?

Will I need to go through the GD library and create an image from the information stored in the table?

While PHP is not new to me, images in db's is. Specifically, when info is returned, it's usually in the form of:

$var=$row['FieldName'];

What would I then do with the 'BLOB' information? Is that where the GD image tools come in play?

Any URL's or small hints to point in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
John