Thumbnail in db

Hi all, I tried asking this question on the general list but
only got a lot of guff about not storing images in db etc.

What I need to do is Store an image in the database, at the
same time, create a thumbnail and store it in the database also.

I can do this successfully if I wish to store the thumbnail on
the files system and then make a thumbnail of it, but I dont
seem to be able to get the thumbnail to insert into the db
from a string.

Is the only way to create the thunbnail to first save it to the
file system in a temp dir?

Kind regards
Kevin

--