multi-language site

Forgive me if this is pedestrian or has been covered before. I'm new to the list and I haven't used PHP too much (yet).

Here's my question:

I'm looking to use PHP for an upcoming site project where the site needs to be in either English or Spanish. Would PHP be a good approach? I was envisioning having a database with every text bit and image with text in it in two columns, one for English, and one for Spanish. Then each web page would reference some kind of global variable (a cookie?) to determine whether to pull the images and text from the English column or the Spanish column. Does this sound like a good approach? Is PHP capable of something like this?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give.

Dan Hewins