Just wanted to let you know that your advice worked like a charm! Thanks so much!

Ali

Neil Smth wrote:
At 01:11 31/12/2003 +0000, you wrote:

To: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:30:06 -0500
From: Ali Van Doren <alikat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Categories and Items query

<snip>

$query = "SELECT category, feature_description FROM features as f, feature_categories as fc WHERE f.feature_category_id=fc.feature_category_id AND f.featureset_id = '1' OR f.featureset_id = '3' ORDER BY f.feature_category_id ASC";

<snip>

So, I actually have two questions:
1) Does anyone know why my query is misbehaving so badly?

I think it's because you need to put the OR statements in brackets, which will then return results with

.... AND (f.featureset_id = '1' OR f.featureset_id = '3' )

Where you are getting results more like ... AND f.featureset_id = '1' then *also asking* for additional results matching "f.featureset_id = '3' "

Do you see the difference in the way the SQL interprets your query ? Its quite subtle.

Anyway usually to avoid confusion in cases like this I would use the IN construct, its less verbose and you can construct an IN list by using PHP's join(",",featureset) function

.... AND f.featureset_id IN ( '1','3' )

Hope that helps.
Neil.