RE: Dilemma (PDA based solution??)

Try these, the techniques are pretty much the same for all platforms (Pass a SOAP message which requests a method to be run on the remote server) : Maybe look on the PEAR site for PEAR::SOAP as well ?

http://www.xmethods.com/ve2/ViewListing.po?serviceid=2
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2003/07/03/php_amazon_soap.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2003/10/30/amazon_rest.html

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/assets/Pocket_PC_2002_Web_Application_Devlopment.doc
http://archive.devx.com/dotnet/articles/cp0901/cp1001/cpwap.asp

So although they might talk about .NET or whatever, you can implement a SOAP service in pretty much any language - all it has to do is return a properly formatted message response, which your clients transform using an XSLT stylesheet in Pocket IE.

The good news : There is lots of documentation out there

The bad news : There is a steep learning curve and your boss is taking the piss if he thinks this can be rolled out by new year !

PS - What is 'ERP' ?

Good luck ;-)
Cheers - Neil.