strings of variables,php, sql

Would appreciate in anyone can help me.

Let's say I do a query in php, eg. $query = "select
shed from structure";  With the mysql_fetch_array
function and a loop I could see all the values stored
in the column, shed, using the command: echo $shed;

Let's say now that I am carrying over a variable from
a form called $form where $form = shed.  I can still
say $query = "select $form from structure"; because
$form = shed.

The problem I have now is with the strings and how do
I see my column values.

Using echo $$value; or echo $($value) or echo \$$value
or echo $"$value" does not give me the values stored
in the column shed.

Help anyone?
thanks