How To Recompile For FreeTDS + MS SQL Support?

I have RedHat 9 and FreeTDS. I used tsql to test FreeTDS and it works great, connecting to my remote SQL 6.5, 7, and 2K servers, accessing pubs.authors.

Now I want to connect PHP to it. I seem to be doing something wrong. RH9 ships with 4.2.2, so I went hunting for the file and got php-4.2.2.tar.gz. I expanded this and then followed advice from "aissam at yahoo dot com" instructions for configuration...

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mssql-connect.php

...but it wouldn't generate a make file and I got stuck.

Do you have any idea where I should go from here?