phpmyadmin screwup

Hi all:

I was trying to use phpmyadmin for the first time and messed up when trying to give the root@localhost a password.  I did that because phpmyadmin told me something about lax security using "root" with no password.  Anyhow something went wrong.

Now I can't do anything with phpadmin or mysql client.    The message is -   "Error 1045:  Access Denied for User:  (Using Password:No).  Grateful for anyone's help.

Thanks