pg_connect() problem with postgresql 7.3.4

Hi,
   I have installed posgresql(serve/libs)-7.3.4 on my linux machine. It
has
	httpd-2.0.40-8
	php-4.2.2-8.0.8
        php-pgsql-4.2.2-8.0.8
   Now pg_connect on my code gives me an  error undefined function call. I
tried to upgrade to php4.3. But this gives me a lot of dependencies
errors. phpinfo() gives me a message of database support for postgresql
but there is no seperate row for postgreSQL Support as i used to get
before. But php-pgsql is installed.

   I have php 4.1/apache in windows and the postgresql db on linux
machines and so the application is running  on windows. But the same if
ported to linux gives me problem. I cannot downgrade my database. So can
anybody help?

-vimala/.