populating <select> and searching to criteria

Hi People,

I have a three part question here. Well actually its 3 separate
questions.

First.

How would I populate a select menu from a mysql databse with the entries
from a particular field, but only showing those that are unique, ie not
showing more than 1 of the same value.

Second.

How would I then have one of those options selected depending on what it
contained in another table?

Third.

I need to understand how the following would be achieved.

In the database there is a text field that contains a number of
'keywords' I need to be able to search through those individual keywords
and return results based on a % match from the original search. Ie if I
search for 'secretary, typing, customer relations' I need to return all
records from the database that has one or all of those words contained
in the text field and display them as a % match of that search, ie if 1
match then 33% 2, 66% and so on.

Any help on the above three would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Shannon