Oracle 9 and PHP 4.3.x

I've been trying to get Linux+apache+php+oracle working here with no
success, so I've to ask for some help.

Versions:
RedHat 9.0
PHP 4.3.4RC1
Oracle Enterprise Server 9.2.x
Oracle client 8.1.7

The machine has to run RedHat, and newest version would be good.
Oracle9.x doesn't seem to be certified for RedHat9 but I've found guides
on how to get it running and it works. PHP is compiled with --with-oci8
against the Oracle9.x server, the compilation works but PHP does not.
I've set env values in httpd.conf together with the mod_env module
without any success, probably because there are no oracle 9 support.
I've read that you can use the Oracle 8.x client against a 9.x database
and compile PHP against that client instead, but the installation just
hangs with a gray window and 100% CPU usage. I've read that it could
help to change window manager to fvwm but no success.

Any help to either get PHP using Oracle9 or installing Oracle8 on
RedHat9 would be appreciated.
It would be good if any answers where cced/sent directly to my e-mail
address.