Re:SQL type queries on arrays?

Why not use an actual SQL query which is optimised to be faster than string processing ?

You would probably get more mileage from loading the CSV into a pre-formed table with an index, in MySQL (this operation is very fast). I've loaded 5000 records from a CSV in 5 millisec into MySQL on a P500. Indexes might slow the import slightly, but not much and certainly not in 2 seconds unless you have a huge number of fields.

Then use

SELECT DISTINCT(fieldname)

to recover the unique values. You can also do ORDER BY and other stuff in this case, without jumping through hoops in your code ;-)

Cheers - Neil.