inserting date from text file

Hi all,

I have a large text file that I am inserting into a mysql db and seem to
have a problem with
the date format. The data is currently in the mm/dd/yyyy format. The command
I am using is

INSERT INTO TABLE
(QID,REV,DATE)
VALUES
("619" , "12" , "1/4/2001");

I am using phpMyAdmin with the above command. I have over 1000 lines of data
to add and
changing all the dates would be a royal pain. Is the note a way to set the
format in the
column description to allow for the current data format to remain as is and
have the
db insert the date in the correct mySQL format??

Thanks for your help....

Aleks K