pconnect doesn't appear to work properly

Gang:

We have noticed some considerable performance hits on our server recently,
and after some investigation, we found over 100 mysql connections open and
sleeping.  The process belonged, for the most part, to only 2 web sites,
both of which use mysql_pconnect quite extensively.  After watching it for a
while, we noticed that each time a new pconnect was called, it actually
spawned a new connection rather than using an existing connection.  Have any
of you made similar observations?

Also, these open connections seem to stay open indefinitely.  Is there some
way that we can optimize MySQL to close connections that have been open and
sleeping for a certain time?

We're running Apache 1.3.27 and PHP 4.2.2.

Thanks!