Re: Email bouncer Program(s) - know any?

Jerry --

This is neither a PHP nor PHP-DB question, even though you use php and
mysql, but here's a reply anyway.

...and then JeRRy said...
%
% Hi,

Hi!

%
% I run PHP and mysql on my site.  I allow people to use
% a PHP page to send me an email that is logged in the
% mysql for logging reasons.

Good enough.

%
% If someone sends me an email to whatever@mydomain.com
% (fake address, not real) when it is sent it does not

By the way, if you're going to use an example domain, you should
generally use example.com since it's been dedicated to that purpose :-)

You're approaching this the wrong way; instead of trying to trash the
mail that comes to root, keep your form from bouncing back to root if
there is a problem.  Set the envelope header to specify the sender
address (ie invalidemail@example.com) as well as the From: address
(presumably your visitor's email address, but if you're not actually
getting that (and if not then why are you using an email form??) then
your local one) so that a bounce will go back to where you can control
it rather than into the root mailbox.  With the example above, you can
just direct all mail to invalidemail@ into the bit bucket.

Since this is your form and it's supposed to send email to you, how on
earth are users entering some bogus address for you in the first place?

% bounce, instead it gets sent to the root email
% account.  :(  I don't want this as I don't read the

I imagine you don't!

% root account all the time because emails that go there

Ah.  No, that's not really a good reason :-/

% are mainly spam or from people who do not have the
% correct email address to send to.  I don't reply to
% any in there.  Just delete them, they take up space
% sitting there.

They also tell you about possible problems on your server.  It would be
good to read that mail every once in a while!

%
% Is there a Program(s) I can download or change a
% setting on my server to make them bounce back with a
% message?  (like other web server do)

You could install spamassassin on the box, have root's mail delivered
through that, set a whitelist rule for your own local mail, and then
mark everything else as spam, to be thrown away later by something like
procmail.  This isn't very safe (it would be much better, for instance,
to periodically pump root's mailbox with successfully-delivered messages
through SA and procmail), but you don't seem terribly concerned with the
health of your box and so some lost root mail is probably not a big deal
to you (and certainly no worse than what you're doing now).

Note that even that isn't really very good because each domains is
supposed to have a working postmaster@ account where any problem reports
for the domain can go.  If you just bounce any mail from the outside then
you're not playing nice with the rest of the world.  Just because other
web servers bounce possibly-valid mail to root (very probably because
it's a Win box whose master account is 'administrator') or other system
accounts doesn't mean that you should.

If you use qmail then it's easy enough to run whatever tests you want
and, if they fail, bounce the message back.  And qmail, which was built
from the ground up to be reliable, would get around the problems of
unsafe delivery - even for root :-)

%
% Sure I could setup a autoresponder of some kind but I
% don't want to reveal the root account email.  Can

If you've gotten mail in the root mailbox then you've already revealed
it.  No, you don't want an autoresponder, since that's not a bounce, but
the revelation is pretty insignificant.

% anyone help?

I'm sure someone can :-)  Perhaps even this reply is particularly helpful.

%
% Also I host other sites and domains, if I install a

What's your host name again?  I need to remember never to host where
someone just deletes the root email.

% program on my web server for my emails to bounce will
% they work for them?  Preferrably is there a program I

No reason it shouldn't, and slightly less reason that the would be forced
to use it (you could certainly cock up the mail system so that nothing
gets in, no matter what domain, but you'd have to work a bit at that).

% can use to just use for my domain?  And others can ask
% for it to be installed for their accounts.

You should be keeping all of the domains' mail separate anyway, so that's
no big deal.

%
% All help mostly appreciated.

I wonder how 'mostly' this input will strike you :-)

%
% Thanks!

HTH & HAND

:-D