Re: Query's

Are you asking for help with the query, or with having the query populate
a select box? If you are planning to be able to manually enter search
criteria, then you do not want a select box, you want a text type input.

David

"Andrew R" <andrew@htop.org>

09/29/2003 05:01 PM

To:
<php-db@lists.php.net>
cc:

Subject:
 Query's

Howdy List,

I am a little confused in incorporating a drop down menu into my select
statement.
I have a very simple 1 table database that contains my DVD collection.

Right now - very simply it connects to the database, and then produces
the results of the search based on a

<?
  mysql_connect("localhost","name","password");
  mysql_select_db("oldmovies");
$result = mysql_query ("SELECT * FROM movies");

while($r=mysql_fetch_array($result))
  {
    $movie_number=$r["movie_number"];
    $movie_name=$r["movie_name"];
    $genre=$r["genre"];
    $star1=$r["star1"];
    $star2=$r["star2"];
    $star3=$r["star3"];
    $director=$r["director"];
    $brief_synopsis=$r["brief_synopsis"];
    $imdb_link=$r["imdb_link"];

?>
This then produces the results onto the page in the tables that I have
formatted.

This was fine when I only had 50 or so dvd's - I am nearing the 500
mark, and it is WAY past time to add a search

This is where I get lost.

I can get into mysql monitor, and I can pull out using SELECT * FROM
movies WHERE genre LIKE *******
And then I have a selection of Genre's that I can enter to generate the
results.

What I am trying to do is incorporate some selection drop down menus
that would make the search process easier.

Example: search for movies where {dropdown1} is {equal or like}
Dropdown 1 would be my first criteria: movie name, director, lead actor,
genre.
The equal or like would be a standard textfield to be filled in.

I hope that I am making sense here.

If anybody can shed some light onto a confused newbie (the php script
above was written at my old place of employment for me - otherwise I
could ask them) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Andrew

"Come to the edge, Life said.
They said: We are afraid.