Re: JOIN across db's in MySQL

i asked this same question once and somehwere in the archives is a post by
John Holmes that shows an example of how mysql allows db joins.  its from
last month i believe....

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-db

but in short, mysql does support this using ..... db.table.field

hth
Jeff

                      "Mike Tallroth"
                      <mike.tallroth@pl        To:       php-db@lists.php.net
                      exus.com>                cc:
                                               Subject:   JOIN across db's in MySQL
                      09/18/2003 10:47
                      AM

In the big scheme of things, I need several functions to be performed by a
web interface / database system.  In an attempt to maintain some sense of
order, I'm hoping to divide common data into a seperate MySQL database away
from the function specific data.  For example, I need to do project
allocation and vendor quality tracking.  These functions are generally
unrelated but call on similar data (people in the group).

My plan was to create a MySQL database called "admin" which contained
people, customers, locations, addresses, etc, and seperate databases for
each of the other functions projectallocation, vendorquality, etc.

The problem I'm seeing is that there is no clean way of creating queries
across database boundaries.  Does PHP support this and I'm not seeing it?
Does anyone know of third party code that accomplishes this "manually"?  Am
I out in left field on my desire to setup the database structure this way?

thanks,

--
Mike Tallroth
Engineering Supervisor