Problem connecting to MySql database from php

I'm taking a tutorial from an e-book.  The script it had me make is a simple
HTML form with method Post.  The php script that connects to the mysql
database uses the command mysql_connect('host', 'user', 'password') isn't
working...  I'm fairly new to php and MySql.  I don't think I am configured
to have php and mysql communicate correctly...  any ideas what I might have
to do with the mysql database (or mysql config) and/or php.ini ?
Thanks in advance.