Re: "Consider upgrading MySQL client" .... how do I do this?

Sorry about coming into this thread late.

You should read this page:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Password_hashing.html

It details how to upgrade your user tables to MySQL 4.1.x and still
allow old clients to connect to the server.

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:50:37 +1000, Vinoaj Vijeyakumaar spoke thusly
about  "Consider upgrading MySQL client" .... how do I do this?:
> Hi,
>
> Just this morning I upgraded to MySQL 4.1.0 alpha and PHP 4.3.3.  I'm
> also running Apache 2 on a WinXP machine.  The main reason for the
> upgrade was so that I could make use of 4.1.0's sub-select feature
> rather than attempt learning JOINs.  It is now 7 hours later, and I
> keep getting the following error when trying to connect to my
> database:
>
> Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication
> protocol requested by server. Consider upgrading MySQL client
>
> Running phpinfo() shows Client API version 3.23.49 under mySQL.
>
> Searching around the net all day, the closest explanation I could
> find was that PHP does not have a client API to interface with MySQL
> 4.1.x.  The solution suggested was to use an ODBC driver to interface
> between PHP and MySQL but indicated that this may be slower.
>
> My question, therefore, is - is there a way to upgrade the MySQL
> client in PHP 4.3.3?  If not, what are the alternatives (apart from
> reverting back to MySQL 4.0.x of course).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Vinny.

---
Listserv only address.