To many connections problem with LAMP

Hello,

I am getting more and more "to many connections" errors on my web application buid with LAMP.

After doing some research it looks like this is a problem because I am using pmysql_connect instead of mysql_connect.

Istn't it better to use persistant connections? There are about 14000 PI
the system has to serve each day. It looks like this is close to the limit? The server itself is running on about 10%cpu. Is there a way to increase the amount of connections possible?

Can anybody give me a suggestion on how to solve this problem and where to go from here?

Thanx in advance.

Regards,

Merlin