Ifs, ands, or buts

Another one that should be easy that I am just not finding anywhere in the manual.

How do I put an 'and' or an 'or' in an if statement?

I know I could achieve the same results with multiple if statements, but that seems so inefficient.

Lets say I wanted to check a bunch of fields to make sure they weren't empty. I can check one field by saying:

if ($field1) {
echo "Field 1 is not empty";
}

Can't I just say:

if ($field1 and $field2 and $field3 and $field4) {
echo "All four fields are field in";
}

Or

if ($field1 or $field2 or $field3 or $field4) {
echo "At least one of the four fields is filled in";
}

?

Maybe its not the word "and" and "or" but maybe its && or || respectively? That's what I've seen in other languages that let you do this. I'm sure there must be a way to do this with PHP, too.

Thanks for your help.

Diana
diana@vivaladata.com                 "Will Work for Chocolate"
http://www.vivaladata.com           (and its worth every byte!)