Pulling an ID list from a DB, then filtering that list againstanother list of ID's

Hey All-

Got an interesting problem! I have a list of ID's, basically  things
people have viewed on my website. When I pull the viewable items from my
database, I need to be able to filter out all the ID's people have
already viewed, so that they only get a list of things they have not
viewed.

I can think of a way to do this, but it is a nasty loop situation, that
would probably not be good and tie up significant CPU time. Anyone have
any suggestions on ways to filter view items from a fresh list that I am
pulling from my Database?

RH9, PHP 4.3.2, MySQL 4.0.14-standard, Apache 2.0.47

Thanks!
Matt