mysql_connect on dual-processor machines

I would appreciate help in getting mysql_connect to behave consistently
on different machines. It does not work for me on a dual-processor
server but will on other servers. On dual-processor machines, no matter
what parameters are entered into the function, they are ignored. For
example, with

$link = mysql_connect ("localhost", "ams", "amspassword")
    or die ("Could not connect as ams: " . mysql_error() );
if ($link && mysql_select_db ("refs"))
    return ($link);

the function defaults to localhost and no user or password, so the
browser returns only

Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'refs'

By chown'ing the calling script to different users other than mysql, the
message will sometimes name a user--for example,

Access denied for user: 'bob@localhost' to database 'refs' (Using
password: NO)

I've tried setting the mysql_default.socket in php.ini to the mysql
socket, and that makes no difference.

How do I get mysql_connect to read its parameters? Why should this only
be a problem on dual_processor machines?

   Seth