search doc in dB

I have a project were I need to create a search mechanism for a large number
of documents.
I have already created a dB containing the Doc name, its URL location on the
hard drive and a description.
The search is being done against the document name. The complaint I am
getting is that the users may not
know the name of the document or may need to do a search against the
contents of a document in order to
get a list of documents listed by relevance.

1. Will PHP fopen read .pdf as well as .doc types if I upload them into a
table column with the BLOB type set
2. I need to create a search script that will search the title and/or
contents and return a list of relevant documents

Any assistance would be appreciated. Eventually I hope to be able to use the
dB to not only search but to allow the
retrieval of the document instead of having them stored in another location
on the hard drive. This will allow me to
set up another level of security.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Aleks