Configuring PHP with Firebird

Hi all

I sent a similar message yesterday, but I don't think it was clear enough,
so I'm trying again:

Basically, I want to know if it is possible to make PHP aware of
Interbase/Firebird *without* recompiling PHP.

If it is not possible, I'd like to know what option to pass PHP at configure
time when the Firebird installation is on a remote machine. Ie, the machine
where PHP is running *does not* have Firebird installed.

I have checked Google without much luck and am busy trawling posts on
DevShed, but would appreciate it if someone knows something about these
issues or could point me to documentation about them.

Thanks

Evan Morris
evan@exclusivebooks.com