HELP: mssql for php under linux

Hi all
I have installed RedHat 9 linux with apache 2 and php support.
The current version of everuthing running looks like this:
[root@skopjanka root]# rpm -qa|grep httpd
httpd-devel-2.0.40-21.3
redhat-config-httpd-1.0.1-18
httpd-2.0.40-21.3
httpd-manual-2.0.40-21.3

[root@skopjanka root]# rpm -qa|grep php
php-4.2.2-17.2
php-pgsql-4.2.2-17.2
php-devel-4.2.2-17.2
php-mysql-4.2.2-17.2
php-ldap-4.2.2-17.2
php-imap-4.2.2-17.2

I'm trying to create support for mssql in php. I have compiled and
installed freetds. However I am very weary of removing PHP and
recompiling it since this is a production server.I tried the following
trick, from the PHP User Contributed notes:

#cd /usr/src/php-devel/ext/mssql
#phpize
this create configure file
#./configure --with-mssql=/usr/path/to/freetds
#make
cp mssql.so /path-to-php-libs

However, the only thing it produced is a segmentation fault every time I
try to use a mssql function, like thisone
[Tue Aug 05 14:59:35 2003] [notice] child pid 2330 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)

I must stress that I used php.4.3.1 source to create the mssql.so, since
the php.4.2 DON'T seem to have a completely prepared ext/mssql directory
(the config.m4 file is missing)
Please help

Spirovski Bozhidar
System Engineer, MCP, MCSA