Old dbase 2 or 3 conversion

As I know PHP creates dbase 4 files. How is it possible to create or at least convert to dbase 2 or 3? Also, PHP creates read-only dbase files(read-only from Fox's perspective, not -r) that cannot be modified with Fox. Can I create non read-only files?
I know that no normal people use dbase today, but there are compatibility problems out there with software written when I wasn't even born and I must make sure that the old software gets what it wants. Any help would be apreciated.

Bogdan Albei
eTechnics
www.e-technics.com