Formatting numbers

BlankHi,
 I am a little new to PHP, but I am trying to pull numbers from a database
that has both phone numbers and social security numbers for a client. My
Client doesn't want the numbers to come out like 5555555555 but (555)
555-5555. My question is can I use format_number() to do this and if so how
do I make it change from a comma and every three spaces to fit the formats
above? I know that this is probably pretty simple, but I can't seem to find
the answer anywhere (possibly right under my freakin' nose :D).
Thanks.
David Smith