From: Stephen March [mailto:steve@enerds.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, 22 July 2003 2:10 PM
To: Ellis Robin (Bundaberg)
Cc: php-db@lists.php.net
Subject: Re:  Inline extraction and exhibition of large objects

I'll bite.    First of all, if Netscape / Opera browsers are running,
you can be guarenteed that it is a problem with IE, especially since you
just SP'd it.      The URL for the fix you described is located at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-047.asp
, which if you read - describes that it had a buffer-run in an Active-X
component used to launch certain types.    I'm not 100%  sure, but it
does make mention of:

The patch eliminates the vulnerability by setting the "kill bit" on the
affected ActiveX control. This action, which is discussed in more detail
in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q240797
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q240797>, has
the effect of preventing a particular ActiveX control from ever being
executed within Internet Explorer, regardless of the security settings
on the system.

If I were looking into the problem, I'd take a look to make sure the
patch didn't wipe out my mime settings for the formats you described,
.pdf, .xls, etc.   If your're not sure, simply point your browser with
an absolute path to a file  http://www.yourserver.com/yourfile.pdf   and
see if it opens properly.   It might require that you re-image your
machine, and test the patch before you apply it.    You should slap your
sys-admins knuckles for releasing a patch without testing it fully first  :)

Having said that,  this is a PHP list and that's waaaay too much Windows
talk  :)

HTH
~Steve