OCINewCollection and Oracle9i Client

During an upgrade to Oracle 9.2.0 from 8.1.7, we encountered the following
error with php 4.2.3 when using the OCINewCollection function and the Oracle
9i Client:

PHP Unkown error type: [2] OCITypeByName: ORA-21301: not initialized in
object mode /home/httpd/sites/manager/vxmlEditSubmit.php line:38

The same code works fine under PHP 4.2.3 using the Oracle 8i Client.

The problem seems to lie with the 9i client.  I have tested the code,
running on php 4.2.3 with an 8i client, against both an 8i database and a 9i
database and it works fine.  I have also tested the code, running on php
4.2.3 with a 9i client, against an 8i database and a 9i database and it
generates the above error in both cases.

We'd really like to stick with the 9i client.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.