sqlite_udf_encode_binary and sqlite_escape_string

What is the difference between sqlite_udf_encode_binary and sqlite_escape_string ?

Is sqlite_escape_string the same as sqlite_udf_encode_binary, except that sqlite_escape_string is also doubling up single-quote characters (') ?

Is this because a User Defined Function (UDF) automatically doubles up single-quote characters in the case of a INSERT statement and so sqlite_escape_string can't be used in combination with a UDF? (The use of sqlite_escape_string on strings returned from UDF's will lead to double-quoting of the data?)

I also have another, related question: Suppose I have a string of which I know it doesn't contain binary-unsafe characters, but does contain single-quote characters. If I escape this string with sqlite_escape_string and INSERT this string in the database, do I have to decode the data with sqlite_udf_decode_binary when I SELECT this data from the database?

Thanks in advance for the answers.