Reading from a file

I need to read from a file that is tab delimited.  Is there anyway to specify that it reads between each tab and that is it.  I know fread() uses bytes to figure out what to read but that isn't very practical in my case.

Also, how do I get rid of any white space at the end of a variable if there is some once it is read in?

- Rick