Re: setting session variables via a form

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have a problem associated with differences between 4.3 and 4.0.6. My local server (Mac OSX) is running 4.3 and has globals off. I designed the code to run with $_SESSION for my log in pages, and they work fine. Then I had to move the files to a client's server and discovered that he was running 4.0.6 and globals on. Now I have to revise my login scripts to accomodate.

Is there a function like $_SESSION['user_name'] vs. $session_register('user_name') that would work on both? I tried $HTTP_SESSION_VARS["user_name"] but that didn't keep the user_name going into the next page, which causes the login to fail and send back to the login page.

Snippets as they are now (for 4.0.6):
// this is the log in page
<?
	session_start();
	if ($user_name && $login_pass) {
	  // if the user has just tried to log in from <FORM>
		session_register("user_name");
	}
	if (session_is_registered("user_name")) {
		header("Location: content.php");
		exit();
	}
.. rest of file
?>

// content.php
<?
session_start();
if (!session_is_registered("user_name")) {
header("Location: index.php");
exit();
}

die("check:".$user_name); <-- may actually accept the registry of user_name but still does not display it

.. rest of file
?>