PHP help

My System:
Windows 98
Apache 1.3.27
PHP 4
mysql

Hello all, I am a PHP beginner and was wondering if I could get some help from some of the more experienced on this list.  I have been trying to use an html form (with textboxes, radio buttons, and textareas) to input data into a mysql database.  I am able to connect fully with the database and am able to create tables in it, but when I try to input information into the tables nothing happens. ever...  I don't really know what to do from here, but I assume that a configuration is not set properly between mysql, apache, windows, or php.  I really don't know what it could be.  My code is here and I have tried to simplify the form in order to get it working, so here is my barebones code that hopefully has some errors:
HTML:
<head>
<title>Simplify</title>
</head>
<form action="addform.php" method="post">
Login: <input type="text" name="login">
<input type="submit">
</form>

PHP file called "addform.php":

<?

$user="chris";
$database="test";
mysql_connect(localhost,$user);
@mysql_select_db($database) or die("unable to select database");
$query="INSERT INTO login VALUES ("'$login')";
mysql_query($query);
mysql_close();
?>

Login is the name of the table on the database named test.

I stopped using a password because it wouldn't let anything work even table creation when I tried to use a password.  Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated; there is probably some grievious error in this script.  Thanks, Chris