Re: No MySQL Support in PHP5 - Uh oh!

Hello Ben--

The MySQL extension has been debundled because MySQL has changed its
licensing policy and, effective 4.0, the library is now distributed
either under the GPL (which is incompatible with the PHP license) or by
purchasing a commercial license.

You can still link to the MySQL library by downloading it separately
from PHP, installing it and the configuring PHP to point to it. This
will work both with 3.x and 4.x. However, technically you can't link
against 4.x unless you have a commercial license from MySQL.

MySQL has confirmed they're working on an exception that would allow you
to link to the 4.x library, but nothing has been made public yet (at
least as far as I know).

Here are some reference links (note: these are all from my blog. It's
not megalomania [well, not all of it, anyway]--I just happened to have
collected some info about this whole thing and it's easier for me to
reference my own site than someone else's):

http://blogs.phparch.com/mt/archives/000014.html
http://blogs.phparch.com/mt/archives/000019.html
http://blogs.phparch.com/mt/archives/000023.html

These also include some comments directly from MySQL on this whole
thing.

Cheers,

Marco

--