Splitting Product Catalogue Over Multiple Pages?

Greetings all, I'm not sure if this has been discussed recently, I've read
bits and pieces and I can't remember where I read everything so if it has
been brought up recently - sorry.

If I do an SQL (MySQL) query on the first example to get the min and max IDs
then I will get 1 and 6 respectively.  I will then be able to loop from 1 to
6 and return all 6 products from the database.  If however I wanted to split
this in to two pages with 3 items in each page then using the first example
below I could grab the min ID and add 2 to it to make 3.  I could not do
this using the second example because if I grab the min ID I would get 3, if
I add 2 to it then I would get 5.  5 does not exit in this table so that
wouldn't work.  How in example 2 would I be able to split this over two
pages?

//example 1

ID   Product_Name
1      Hoover